Saturday, May 13, 2006

70 K!!!!

I hit 70,000 words on my sequel last night! And about three thousand of those words were a scene that ends up being really pivotal in the story that was very hazy in my mind and suddenly snapped clear yesterday. I typed like a mad woman! (The scene is about a mad woman. Haha) My goal was to reach 70,000 words this weekend. I guess I'll have to try for 75,000 this weekend instead.:) I gotta get this thing finished so I can pass it around for critiques from my family while I am up in their neck of the woods in four weeks. I think I can do it, but I need to get back to writing every day. I think two hours a day for the next three weeks (generally spread out through the day because of my kids;)) should do it.
I have this pipe dream of having one of the agents call me up say, "I love the book; there's a sequel, right?"
And then I can say, "Of course; I just finished it."
At which point they, of coure, go into a frenzy, shouting, "Send it! Send it! I must find out what happens!!"
Hey, back off, I said it was a pipe dream. (laugh) But seriously, with the way that Chain ends it is very clear that it needs a sequel and I would hope that any agent interested enough to offer representation would also want to know what happens next.
I expect Cymbals to be about as long as Chain, which means my first draft will probably be 100,000 words and will grow about 5,000-10,000 words during the editing process. I already know places I want to go back and expand, but I can't go back in the middle of a book or I'll never finish. Keep the eye on the prize, girl, eye on the prize.

Ciao!!

No comments: