Saturday, August 18, 2012

How My Writing Schedule Works

I'm confusing people.

On Twitter, I mean. Which is understandable as it can sometimes be confusing place in general. However, what I mean is that people are getting confused about my books. In particular, this blog entry is prompted by a response to a tweet in which I said:

Synopsis for new Mystery Book of Mysterious Awesomness is done! Whew! Now I just need to finish chapter three so I can send it to my agent.

To which a follower immediately asked, "Besides Life After Theft and Earthbound?"

Thus, I see that I am confusing people.

To people who aren't in publishing it must seem pretty straight forward. You write a book, a couple of weeks . . . or maybe months later, it's out on shelves. I cannot tell you have many people I have had say to me at signings some variation on, "I can't wait for the next book! Please write quickly!" And then are shocked when I tell them, "Actually, the next book is done."

That's because the actual process of publication takes about a year. AFTER the book is written. When I was writing the Wings series, it was fairly straightforward. I could say, "Well, the next book is written and I'm currently working on edits."

But then I did two crazy things at the same time. One, I started a new series. (CRAZY!!!!!) Two, I decided to publish two books in one year, (EXTRA CRAZY!!!) and close together at that (MAXIMUM CRAZY!!). That means that this summer has been full of me tweeting quotes from Life After Theft (April 30, 2013) and Earthbound (June or July, 2013). But it's not because I've been writing them, it's because I've been editing them.

That means that I've just started drafting a new book that is expected to come out in . . . wait for it, wait for it . . . Summer 2014.

Well, no wonder you all are confused!!!

And to make matters worse, as soon as this one is done I will be drafting the sequel to Earthbound, also Summer 2014. Yes, in just under TWO years. Because that's how far ahead I have to work to not have deadlines destroy my life.

So here's how things are going to happen for the next little while:

Life After Theft April 2013
Earthbound June/July 2013
Mystery Book Summer 2014
Earthbound Sequel Summer 2014

Take all of those dates and subtract 18 months. That's when I'm writing them. Subtract a year, that's when I'm editing them.

That means that, because of the nature of our profession's calendar, we authors are terrible, shameless teases.:D But hopefully now when I am shamelessly teasing you, at least you'll know what the heck I'm talking about!

Ciao!

P.S. If you want to see the quotes you can look up the hashtags #lifeaftertheft and #earthbound ;)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

But, really, that year makes a huge difference in the quality. Editing is what really makes a book shine.

Of course, I'm sure YOUR books don't need that much editing.... :)

Josin L. McQuein said...

What most people don't realize is that writers must masters of time travel if they want to survive in this industry. It's the same technology Santa uses to make it around the world in one night, only less efficient and with fewer free cookies.

Dustin Hansen said...

Great post. Publishing takes so many people and it's the perfect example of how 9 women can't have 1 baby in 1 month.

Now tell us how it mixed with your husband's publishing schedule and we'll all go completely nuts! :)

Rhiannon Rudick said...

Omg I can't wait to read your next serieses!<3

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

Yeah I think it is so totally crazy. I'm writing for the first time in forever. That means if it ever gets published it won't be in this decade. Probably. I think I just talked myself out of finishing. Ha! But, I do think all the editing is really worth it.

Katrina said...

I have just finished Destined, which you didn't mention what Yuki give to Tamani when she died. What did she make out of the knife?
It's strange that the roots didn't let go of them after the spellcaster had died. I like Jamison and the girl seems to be like his daughter?
The characters are not bad, but these are the parts of the plot that may have been missed?
Hope for a reply if you can.

Katrina (virgofusion2006@gmail.com)

jessica said...

Katrina yuki made a key to open the gate so a winter fae didn't have to do it...basically so tam/laurel could come and go (or at least that's how I took it). As for the spell working after yuki died she put all of her power into holding them and making the key, she even sacrificed herself to do it putting all of her powers into both acts. As for the girl being like Jamison's daughter...who yasmine or klea? Both are almost true since he helped to train them both...regardless I hope this helps! I really enjoyed the book and didn't find the plot lacking...and hurray for the New books!

Anonymous said...

It was a key she gave to him so he could open up the gate without the help of the Queen. If you read it over again you might understand better.